Monday, March 22, 2010

The Weather Outside is Delightful...should that be frightful?

Springtime is finally here. Spring is great because, unlike fall, there is no feeling of dread concerning the upcoming winter, only anticipation for even brighter, longer, warmer days ahead. It's a time to drag your dreary, winterized self out of hibernation and into that blinding, harsh sunlight. That's the idea, at least. This transition is notoriously difficult for me. It seems that every year just as I'm starting to accept the fact that I will never see the sun again and my couch is starting to really break in to that nice ass-shaped dugout that we all strive for, the sun comes out and starts to mock me for staying indoors. Part of me would love to be outside frolicking, but the part that is sort of lazy and likes having an excuse to sit inside and stare blankly at my computer screen is uncomfortable. At least this year we have a very good reason to get outside and show our pasty skin to the world - Alaska!

That's why we have to remember: no excuses, no compromises! We cannot let our moods prevail- we must remember a larger goal! The worst thing would be to get to Alaska and not feel prepared. The training will commence full time this Wednesday when our wheels are done being built! I ended up getting bright yellow disc-only wheels. I didn't really want to commit to disc-only but in the end it was a decision made based on timing and the fact that, really, who wants to go from disc brakes to rim brakes anyway? I've been riding my new Brooks saddle and it is very, very nice. Still a loooooooong way from broken in, but there's nothing like the feel of leather underneath your toosh. Now it's just a matter of getting the wheels, putting it all together, and crossing our fingers for some of that guilt-inducing beautiful spring weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment